Translate

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Allies for Intrafamilial Sex

I found an interesting discussion from a year and a half ago, on consanguineous sex and the faulty arguments made against it, over at the Asexual Visibility and Education Network. TheLuminousFishEffect wrote “Shockingly, cliched slogans don't constitute valid arguments.”

"It's good to be open minded, but not so much so that your brain falls out."

I hate this. I really really do. It's become the last bastion of defence used by people who've run out of arguments of substance. Take, for example, a recent discussion over marriage between close family members I had. The general gist of the argument went thusly:

A: It's weird
Me: So? It's not hurting anyone, is it?
A: Yeah, but it's un-natural.
Me: So's the internet, but I don't see you complaining about that.
A: But the children have a higher chance of genetic deformities.
Me: What if they don't have children?
A: Accidents happen.
Me: Not if they were careful. Condoms alone have about a 98pc effectiveness rate. The pill has a 99+pc. Personally, I'd take those odds (were I so inclined). And they could have a vasectomy or hysterectomy.
A: What if they split up and want children with other partners?
Me: Well, they could either adopt or have their respective gametes frozen. The male could have the vasectomy reversed.
A: It still shouldn't be allowed.
Me: You just want it proscribed because it repulses you.
A: It's good to be open-minded, but not so much so that your brain falls out.

What? WTF? In what magickal land does that constitute an actual argument?

Exactly.

mad_scientist agreed…

I used to be strongly anti-incest before I actually bothered to consider the situation.

That’s often how it works.

Sally…

Having an incestuous relationship certainly takes care of the awful in-law problem.

Good one.

ProdeFemme...

As for the 'keep it in the family' thing, well certainly not something I'd consider but hell, if everyone is an adult and on board with the idea who am I to say?

Thank you for being an ally.
— — —

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam, comments will have to be approved, so your comment may not appear for several hours. Feedback is welcome, including disagreement. I only delete/reject/mark as spam: spam, vulgar or hateful attacks, repeated spouting of bigotry from the same person that does not add to the discussion, and the like. I will not reject comments based on disagreement, but if you don't think consenting adults should be free to love each other, then I do not consent to have you repeatedly spout hate on my blog without adding anything to the discourse.

If you want to write to me privately, then either contact me on Facebook, email me at fullmarriageequality at protonmail dot com, or tell me in your comment that you do NOT want it published. Otherwise, anything you write here is fair game to be used in a subsequent entry. If you want to be anonymous, that is fine.

IT IS OK TO TALK ABOUT SEX IN YOUR COMMENTS, BUT PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR WORDS CAREFULLY AS I WANT THIS BLOG TO BE AS "SAFE FOR WORK" AS POSSIBLE. If your comment includes graphic descriptions of activity involving minors, it's not going to get published.