Translate

Monday, April 11, 2011

Being Open Works For Him

The Relationship Experiment is a blog that is “Exploring our Turned On Minds and Bodies Through Open Relationship.” The blogger answers “Why Polyamory?”

After a series of failed monogamous relationships, I decided to try something new.

I had experienced the gamut of traditional relationships: being faithful, being cheated on, being the cheater, jumping from one relationship to another and taking time of for reflection in between. Friends with benefits. F
[---] buddies. How can you have sex with no feelings or emotions? Being verbally abused. A beautiful but tragically violent woman who smashed the front window to my house, screaming, sending me to jail and breaking my heart in the process. The neighbors called 911 for her protection, but I was the one who was truly scared. Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned, and I hadn’t even scorned her!

After all that, the idea of open relationships wasn’t so scary. If I hadn’t found what I was looking for in conventional ones, what was the risk in looking outside the box? After 7 years, this is what I’ve learned:

1. Open relationships have been the best way for me to give and receive unconditional love.
2. Open relationships have been the single most effective instrument in helping me release my issues surrounding jealousy and insecurity.
3. Being in more than one relationship usually improves all the relationships.
4. Open relationships have taught me greater sensitivity and communication with my partners – in other words, they make me a better man.

Your mileage may vary. I’ll again point out that polyarorous is not synonymous with open. There are polyamorous relationships that are closed, or practicing polyfidelity. I wouldn’t call all open relationships polyamorous. But yes, there are polyamorous people who are in open relationships. In any case, adults should have the freedom to have the relationships they choose with each other, without the law or hateful discrimination.
— — —

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam, comments will have to be approved, so your comment may not appear for several hours. Feedback is welcome, including disagreement. I only delete/reject/mark as spam: spam, vulgar or hateful attacks, repeated spouting of bigotry from the same person that does not add to the discussion, and the like. I will not reject comments based on disagreement, but if you don't think consenting adults should be free to love each other, then I do not consent to have you repeatedly spout hate on my blog without adding anything to the discourse.

If you want to write to me privately, then either contact me on Facebook, email me at fullmarriageequality at protonmail dot com, or tell me in your comment that you do NOT want it published. Otherwise, anything you write here is fair game to be used in a subsequent entry. If you want to be anonymous, that is fine.

IT IS OK TO TALK ABOUT SEX IN YOUR COMMENTS, BUT PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR WORDS CAREFULLY AS I WANT THIS BLOG TO BE AS "SAFE FOR WORK" AS POSSIBLE. If your comment includes graphic descriptions of activity involving minors, it's not going to get published.